BTHS District 201

Health & Safety

Health Services FAQ


Does the 9th grade physical count as a sports physical?

Yes, for that school year only. Sports physicals must be updated every thirteen months, per IHSA rules.

What form is required for freshman physicals?

The State of Illinois certificate of child Health examination form.

Download as RTF

When are freshman physicals due?

The first day of school. It must be the completed physical. No appointments are accepted.

How often does a student need a physical examination?

Incoming freshman are required to submit a physical examination and proof of required immunizations by the first day of school. This physical exam date may not be more than one year older than the first day of school. This physical exam will also count as a sports physical if the student plans to participate in athletics that year. Other non-incoming freshman students, or upperclassmen are not required to submit another physical exam unless they are participating in an athletic activity including marching band. Sports physicals must be updated every thirteen months, per IHSA rules.

Do transfer students need a physical examination?

If a student transfers to Belleville Township High School District 201 from another Illinois school, a copy of his or her physical examination from that school is usually sufficient. Students who transfer from another state or country must have a physical examination and up-to-date immunizations within 30 days of the registration date.

Illness & Injury

What does a student do if they cannot participate in PE for more than three days?

A physician’s note is required to excuse a student from PE for more than three days. The physician’s note should be brought to health services.

What if a student has an injury or illness that requires exemption from PE for an extended period of time?

If a student cannot attend PE for an extended period of time, he or she should bring a physician’s note to Health Services to initiate the process. A meeting between the student, the counselor and the nurse will then take place to determine the best option for the student.

If a student is injured and cannot use the stairs, what accommodations are available?

The student should bring the physician’s note to Health Services. The student will be issued a “Leave Early Pass”, which will allow the student to leave class three to five minutes early.

If a student becomes ill or injured during the school day, what should they do?

The student should obtain a room to room pass from their teacher prior to coming to Health Services. The student should come to Health Services and sign in at the window. The student will be assessed. If the student is too ill to stay in school, a parent or emergency contact will be notified.

What is the school’s medication policy?

If a student requires any prescription or nonprescription medication, including Tylenol and ibuprofen, during the school day, a Medication Authorization Form must be completed by both the attending physician and the parent or guardian. These forms must be completed annually.

Prescription medication brought to school must be in a current pharmacy labeled container. Non-prescription or over-the-counter medication must be in the manufacturer’s original package and labeled with the student’s name.

Download as RTF

Download as RTF

What is the policy for resting in Health Services

If resting will help a student remain in school, a rest will be allowed, but only if the student has a pass from a current class teacher and is not missing a test or presentation. As a general rule, students may not rest for a full academic period.


How may I obtain a copy of my student’s health record? Or, as a former student, how may I obtain a copy of my health record?

Current student health records are available at each campus’ Health Services. Former students should contact the superintendent’s secretary at 618.222.8241 for a copy of their health records.

Does my student need a meningococcal conjugate vaccination (MCV)?

Yes, beginning Fall 2015, all students entering the sixth and twelfth grades will be required to show proof of recent meningococcal conjugate vaccination (MCV).

Download as RTF

Are incoming 9th graders required to have a dental examination?

All children in ninth grade must present proof of having been examined by a licensed dentist before May 15 of the current school year in accordance with rules adopted by the IDPH. If a child in the ninth grade fails to present proof by May 15, the school may hold the child’s report card until the child presents proof: (1) of a completed dental examination, or (2) that a dental examination will take place within 60 days after May 15.

The Superintendent or designee shall ensure that parent(s)/guardian(s) are notified of this dental examination requirement at least 60 days before May 15 of each school year.

Download as RTF